How to Download CAD/CAM Software for Free
CAD/CAM software is a tool used to manufacture parts small enough to perform delicate surgeries to parts so large they need to be moved with a crane. The CAD portion – or Computer-Aided Design – allows users to reverse engineer parts from physical samples, virtually modify existing parts, and create entirely new models from nothing. The CAM – or Computer-Aided Manufacturing – creates code to run the CNC machines that cut the parts. Sound interesting? We’ll tell you how to try out this software for free.
What are the system requirements to download CAD/CAM software?
Before you get started downloading your CAD/CAM software, you need to make sure your computer setup can support the system. While the software will function as desired when the minimum system requirements are met, overall ease of use and quality can be maximized by meeting the recommended system requirements.
Mastercam System Requirements:
- OS: Windows 10 64-bit Professional minimum; Windows 10 (version 1903 or later) 64-bit Professional recommended
- Processor: Intel or AMD 64-bit processor 2.4 GHz or faster minimum; Intel i7 or Xeon E3 3.2 GHz or faster recommended
- Memory: 8 GB minimum; 32 GB recommended
- Video: OpenGL 3.2 and OpenCL 1.2 support with 1 GB memory and no onboard graphics minimum; NVIDIA Quadro or AMD FirePro/Radeon Pro card with 4 GB or higher dedicated memory recommended
- Monitor: 1920 x 1080 resolution minimum; 1920 x 1080 resolution with dual monitors recommended
- Storage: Hard drive with at least 20 GB free USB and/or DVD drive (depending on installation media and licensing method) minimum; Solid State Drive (SSD) with at least 20 GB free recommended
- 3D Mouse: none required, but a 3Dconnexion mouse is recommended
What can you do with free CAD/CAM software?
The Mastercam Demo/Home Learning Edition is a free trial of the world’s most relied-upon CAD/CAM software for manufacturing. This demo version gives users access to the complete array of CAD/CAM functionality for Mastercam’s Mill, Lathe, Mill-Turn, Router, Multiaxis, Wire, Design, and other solutions.
Users can design an entirely unique model – or recreate one they’re familiar with – and then program that geometry for machining, complete with simulation and verification. The only restriction is that this version cannot be used to control a CNC machine; the Demo/HLE version does not post G-code, files are saved in EMCAM format (which is not compatible with full industrial versions of Mastercam), and post-processors are not included or supported. It’s the perfect way to try out a possible new tool for your shop, discover whether or not a career in manufacturing is for you, or stay up to date with the latest software version.
New users can rest easy knowing that learning this software is easy due to its context-sensitive help from dialog boxes, intelligent and stock-aware toolpaths, and complete tool library and custom tool support.
Ready to download your free CAD/CAM software?
Here’s how to get started:
- Check to make sure your computer meets the system requirements.
- Enter your email on the Mastercam Free Download page.
- Log in or create your free account at my.Mastercam.com.
- Answer a few questions to customize your experience.
- Activate your Mastercam Demo/HLE version.
- Explore your new software!
If you have any questions while navigating your new software, reach out to your local Mastercam Reseller. Not only will they be happy to assist, but they are also outfitted to help you find the best Mastercam product for your applications if you ever want to purchase a full version.