Specialized Multiaxis Programming for Precision Head Porting
Mastercam’s new Port Expert add-on creates accurate, efficient engine cylinder head porting toolpaths on port surface or solid data. Port Expert uses a tapered lollipop tool, and has collision checks for the entire tool (shank, arbor, and holder).
- Port Expert automatically calculates optimal tilt angles so there is no need to split the surface or create tool axis control splines.
- Port Expert uses 3-axis machining as far into the port as possible, and then switches to 5-axis motion, leaving no fishtails or reverse moves.
- Smooth transitions —with a tapered overlap—where the toolpaths meet at the middle of the port, minimizing mechanical transition.
- Port Expert provides both roughing and finishing toolpaths to make ports from castings or billet.
- You can choose to cut the top only, the bottom only, and specify how much stock to leave on the entire port.
- Create toolpaths on triangulated or stitched surfaces — a one-piece surface is not necessary.
- Mastercam’s simulation proceeds step-by-step through the toolpath, even showing you the motion used in transition at the middle of the port.
- Mastercam generates 5-axis code that can run any CNC machine.
For more information on Mastercam’s Port Expert, please click here.