Announcing the 2010 IOF Contest
The Mastercam Innovator of the Future (IOF) contest entices students with a real-world manufacturing challenge, a celebrity judge, a chance to win a scholarship, and a trip to the celebrity judge’s headquarters. This competition provides instructors with a powerful motivational tool to get students excited about learning CAD/CAM and the manufacturing process.
The Celebrity Judges
The celebrity judges consist of a trio of experts from Stewart-Haas Racing. Stewart-Haas Racing is a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series team co-owned by two-time Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart and Haas Automation. The team consists of Tony Stewart, owner and driver of car #14; Ryan Newman, driver of car #39; and CNC Shop Manager, Brad Harris.
Students are challenged to design and machine a NASCAR-style gear shift lever and knob. The Stewart-Haas judges will select the winner based on several criteria including innovation and creativity, accuracy, quality of machining finish, and aesthetics.
The student who designs the winning entry will be awarded a $1,000 scholarship to the school of their choice. The winner and their Mastercam instructor also receive an expense-paid trip to tour the Stewart-Haas Racing headquarters and machine shop in North Carolina. Everyone who enters receives an exclusive Mastercam IOF shirt.
The part must be programmed with a licensed copy of Mastercam software and must adhere to the specifications.
- The part must have a professional look and remain consistent with the theme industry standards.
- You must tell us the story behind the part (inspiration for the design, materials used).
- The entry must consist of one finished, unpainted part. Include photos of you holding the part, your instructor, school lab, and CNC machine. Electronic files are preferred.
- All entries and completed entry forms must be postmarked by March 31, 2010.
- Send entries to CNC Software, Inc., Educational Division, 5717 Wollochet Drive NW, Ste 2A, Gig Harbor, WA 98335. (Please e-mail email@example.com to let us know a part is coming.)
- While we welcome past winners to submit entries, past winners are not eligible to win the grand prize.
For more information on the Mastercam 2010 Innovator of the Future competition, including entry form, complete rules, and part specifications, please visit www.mastercam.com/iof.